As a small token of appreciation on Veterans Day, veterans employed with Dakota Gas were greeted with smiles, words of thanks, and a complimentary meal ticket.
The recognition meant the world to Maas, Dakota Gas controls system engineer. He served in the North Dakota Army National Guard, and has appreciated being recognized by Dakota Gas every year.
“I really appreciate that Dakota Gas and Basin Electric honor the fact that people who work for the cooperative are also committed to supporting the country and its military needs,” Maas says. “It’s nice to be recognized for that time you volunteer.”
Dale Johnson, Dakota Gas vice president and plant manager, shared his appreciation for veterans with Dakota Gas employees the week of Nov. 9.
“I would like to personally thank all employees who have served or are currently serving in the military,” Johnson says. “Thank you for all you have done to serve our country.”
The cooperative supports employees in the military
Basin Electric employs more than 200 veterans and 46 active members of the military. Paul Sukut, Basin Electric CEO and general manager, addressed the cooperative’s level of military appreciation Nov. 11.
“There are so many good reasons to work for Basin Electric. One of the things I’m most proud of is the cooperative’s long history of supporting veterans and current military service members,” Sukut says. “Their selflessness and sense of duty embody the cooperative spirit and serve as an inspiration to us all.”
If employees are stationed abroad, Basin Electric tries to make the time away from home as comfortable and worry free as possible for them and their families. Watch the video.
Here are some of the benefits Basin Electric offers to its military service members:
• Supplement military pay for employees while they’re deployed
• Continue benefits during employment
• Provide cell phones and laptops to military service members
• Offer extra leave when military employees return from deployment
• Provide an open door to family members to raise concerns that develop while their loved ones are deployed
Basin Electric recognized for its support of employees in the military
• In 2012 Basin Electric was selected to receive the Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award, the U.S. government’s highest recognition given to employers for exceptional support given to their employees serving in the U.S. Army National Guard and Reserve. The cooperative was also a finalist for the award in previous years.
• The Bismarck-Mandan (ND) Chamber of Commerce recognized Basin Electric for its support of employee soldiers with the Golden Eagle Award.